Saturday, April 17, 2010

Questioning the Tea Party's Motives

Andrew Sullivan has a great piece on why he distrusts the Tea Party Movement:

[Tea Party members] have no genuine proposals to reduce spending and taxation. They seem very protective of Medicare and Social Security - and their older age bracket underlines this. They also seem primed for maximal neo-imperial reach, backing the nation-building efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, favoring war against Iran, etc. Only Ron Paul, peace be upon him, extends his big government critique to the military-industrial-ideological complex.

So they are truly not serious in policy terms, and it behooves the small government right to grapple with this honestly. They both support lower taxation and yet bemoan the fact that so many Americans do not pay any income tax. They want to cut spending on trivial matters while enabling the entitlement and defense behemoths to go on gobbling up Americans' wealth. And that lack of seriousness is complemented by a near-fanatical cultural alienation from the modern world.

. . .

When they propose cuts in Medicare, means-testing Social Security, a raising of the retirement age and a cut in defense spending, I'll take them seriously and wish them well.

Until then, I'll treat them with the condescending contempt they have thus far deserved.
Let me be the first to say: I propose cuts to Medicare, progressive price-indexing of Social Security benefits, a raising of the retirement age, and reductions in defense spending. And, also, higher taxes on both the middle class and the wealthy.

Yes, Andrew, there are people like me out there on the electoral fringes.

3 comments:

petpluto said...

Yes, Andrew, there are people like me out there on the electoral fringes.

I don't believe it! You're obviously delusional, probably due to your youth.

Also, my word verification this time is really, really long. Just thought you should know.

mikhailbakunin said...

hahahahah

I've had a few of those. If you're a failure like me and you get it wrong enough, it eventually gives you something easy.

petpluto said...

I've had a few of those. If you're a failure like me and you get it wrong enough, it eventually gives you something easy.

OMG, I have the OPPOSITE thing happen! The words seem to get harder and more scrunched the worse I do!

They must assume that you are obvs a human, and I am obvs a leaf pretending to be a human.